In recent past effects of marriage counselling has been put under the microscope. There is no doubt that healthy couple relationships are base of healthy society and in case of relationship breakdown and disharmony, a wide range of negative health and wellbeing outcomes. While many say that things don’t work as promised, majority are there who have been actually got benefited through couple counselling Toronto.
Moreover, there are some reasons due to which the marriage counselling in Toronto doesn’t work for some couples. Here are some to mention so that you can take care and be careful to get better results.
Reasons for ineffectiveness of marriage counselling
- The problems in marriage are firmly fixed and too difficult to change. So, the counselling goes ineffective.
- Either one or both the partners have made up their minds to end the marriage.
- Untreated drug addiction or mental illness having great impact on relationship.
- Mental or physical abuse is the base and safety of one of the partners is the major concern.
- One or both the partners are not trying to cooperate and do not complete their homework assignments while couple counselling Toronto.
- Therapist is not properly qualified or trained
- Therapist and couple are not comfortable or not a good fit
One of the main factors that make marriage counselling a success or not is the motivation level of the partners. Married couples go through different stages in their relationship and every couple agree as well as disagree on certain points. The main thing is how partners see conflicts and deal with them. The attitude and behavior are major concerns always. It has been observed that those couples who willingly go for the couple counselling Toronto make marital squabbles look like fun. It is not that they do not disagree or get mad at each other at times, but they spice their disputes with flashes of affection, mutual respect and intense interest.
How can marriage counselling help couples?
- Once the couple gets motivated they start looking at their problems with a new perspective.
- They learn new ways to recognize and resolve their conflicts with the help of tools provided by the therapist.
- Partners start resuming and improving communication that had eroded the quality of interaction between them.
- The couple counselling Toronto helps couple leave aside the baggage that prevents them from moving on or help them work out solution for tough issues.
- Couples even decide to rebuild their relationship making a renewed commitment. They also get a chance to clarify the reasons for which they decided to separate.
To sum up, to make couple counselling Toronto effective, it takes both the partners to take responsibility for their part in the problems prevailing. Both should agree to the counselling sessions, accept their faults when pointed out and get motivated to repair their relationship. It is also important for couples to have realistic approach so that the marriage counsellor Toronto takes and carries on with all upcoming sessions successfully. After all it takes first few sessions to shed the load and the therapy starts working only after those sessions. The process of change begins.